Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Back to school special!!

Summer is over and your hoodlums are about to be back in school <insert sigh of relief>.  So I decided, after a little bird told me, to do a back to school special on my blog.  I have all of about 3 people that read this thing, and one of them asked me to give some tips and ideas for school lunches.  Now, I know some of you reading this may not pack your kids lunch (how evil of you by the way ;p  ), but you may be able to use these ideas for weekend lunches.  Like always, they are quick, cheap, and easy.  I've also made room for the pickiest of kids and have included some recipes for those who will not touch anything you put in front of them.

The main thing to look for in a good pack able lunch is whether or not it holds up well over night.  There is nothing more frustrating than having to get up at 5am to make your kids lunches.  I wouldn't know, as I haven't reached that point in parent-hood yet, so I'm just making an educated guess. Also, understand, that if you have made the commitment to pack your kid's lunch...that it's going to take work on your part. There is no magic remedy to packing lunches that requires absolutely no work on your part. So if your looking for that, your not going to find it, unless of course you just throw in whatever you had the night before into his/her lunchbox...but I don't suggest it.

So, for my first recipe, you might think "no way!"....but just try it. I understand kids can be picky...I'M picky. If your kid won't eat this, have no fear, other recipes will be included for the stubborn ones.

Cheese & Avocado Quesadilla
2 tortillas (try whole wheat for added nutrition)
1 avocado, sliced
1/2C shredded cheese, of your choice


Add cheese and sliced Avocado to one side of the tortilla, fold in half and sear on both sides until cheese is melted.  


Add your kids favorite fruit or tortilla chips and you have a winner.
Here's a good video on how to cut an Avocado.  I suggest only using really ripe Haas avocado's for Guacamole and using the firmer, not so ripe ones for this recipe.


Egg Salad Sandwhich (kid friendly)
2 hard boiled eggs
1-2 tbs mayonnaise
2 tsp mustard
1 tsp relish (optional)


Peel eggs and cut into small pieces.  Mix with mayo and mustard. Spread on toasted or regular bread.


One thing I have noticed is that 99% of kids will eat Deviled Eggs, or at least my version of them (which is everything a traditional one has minus the relish).  So why not slap a deviled egg on a sandwich?  The mustard gives it a bit more depth of flavor, but if you don't think your kid will like it, then leave it off too. There is nothing wrong with simplicity, plus eggs have lots of protein, and if you must use Light mayo.  But I don't suggest "diet" food for kids...I won't get into that rant as of yet, but just feed your kids the real stuff!!

Stuffed French Toast
2 slices white bread
1 egg
1/4 C milk or cream
2tbs fruit flavored cream cheese or regular cream cheese with 1/4 C fresh fruit


Mix egg and milk together in bowl
spread cream cheese on the inside of both pieces of bread, add fresh fruit.
Put bread together sandwich style and dip in egg mixture.
Cook in small skillet on medium heat until brown on both sides.
serve plain or with syrup


This recipe is easier than it seems.  It literally takes me 10 minutes to throw this together and it holds up really well, and is even pretty good cold.  Plus, who says you can't have breakfast for lunch!?

Honey Mustard Ham Spiral
3-5 pieces deli sliced ham or turkey
2 tortillas
2 slices cheese (your choice, I suggest Provolone)
2tbs whole grain mustard
1 tsp honey
or
1/4 C prepared honey mustard (using my recipe of course)  ;)


Add ham and cheese to tortilla and roll it up end to end.
Place in skillet and cook over medium heat, searing the seam of the roll.
Heat on all sides until cheese is melted.
Serve with honey mustard dipping sauce


These are perfect and I'm not sure of a kid that won't eat them.  In fact, I'm going to make one right now.

Mini BBQ Chicken Sliders
(not for the lazy)
1C cooked, shredded chicken  (I'm sure you could use canned chicken, but I didn't tell you to if it's nasty)
2-3 tbs BBQ sauce
2 mini bagels, cut in half
2tbs shredded cabbage (optional)


Mix chicken and BBQ sauce together
place between bagels
Add shredded cabbage on top for extra texture


This would be a good one recipe if at some time during the month you cooked chicken.  I don't suggest cooking the chicken the night before as that takes up a lot of time.  The rest if pretty dang easy.

Mini Pizzas
2 mini bagels or 2 slices of bread 
2tbs pizza sauce
2tbs shredded cheese
Pepperoni


Build pizza and place in the oven preheated to 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until toasted.

Now then, for those of you who read through this post and said "nope, not my kid" then here is a great informational page about picky eaters.  This woman understands the reason why most kids are picky and why your not helping.  itsnotaboutnutrition.squarespace.com





No comments:

Post a Comment